I was really going to try and only post things that I come across in everyday Java development on this blog and not promote any one framework, but I can't hold back my excitement about Groovy and Grails.
I have used most of the major Java web frameworks throughout the years in an enterprise setting including: Struts, WebWork, Struts2, JSF and Spring MVC, GWT, Flex. Never has it been easier, quicker and more fun to build a web application using Java technologies.
Its amazing how far things have come since the Struts/JDBC days and its equally amazing that its taken this long for Grails to come about. The JVM has come through in a big way allowing other languages.
Some of my favorite parts about Grails:
- It's built on standard Java technologies that we all use today, Spring, Hibernate, Sitemesh, Maven
- Convention over Configuration
- No more DAOs! With dymanic finder methods you can kiss DAOs goodbye.
- Easy relationship mapping between Entities
- No more complex configuration of Spring and Hibernate! Its all done behind the scenes.
- Plugins! Adding things like full text searching with a few lines of code is awesome.
- FUN, PRODUCTIVE and actually INSPIRING to use!
Many big companies are catching on too, including Netflix!
Check out the podcast here for more information about Netflix and Grails:
here
Also check out these Grails books:
Grails in Action
The Definitive Guide to Grails
No comments:
Post a Comment